Monday, September 21, 2009

Belated Anniversary Weekend


Kyle and I finally celebrated our 1 year anniversary almost exactly one month late. We were working (well...Kyle was working, I was laying by the pool...) at Young Life's Washington Family Ranch (formally Wildhorse) in Oregon on our actual anniversary so we decided to postpone our celebration.

The weekend was perfect...perfect...PERFECT...but not without flaw. While "perfect" and "flawed" are antonymous, it was a weekend of rest, reflection, realization, and reality and I cannot find a better word.

Rest--not only did we get to sleep in, but waking up to a small hotel room with no dishes in the sink and no dirty clothes needing to be washed was surprisingly "restful". We spent a rainy Saturday afternoon at the Sounders game. I am typically not a fan of sporting events but this was a BLAST!! Soccer fans are so much fun!! The rain was the icing on the cake as I LOVE rainy weekend afternoons. They make everything feel very cozy! Nothing like a soy latte, a warm sweatshirt, a snugly husband and a crazy soccer game to make my weekend :-) Sunday morning we woke up and went on a beautiful run! It was 5 mile day for my training so we ran down by the piers, around the dock, through the sculpture park...all on a beautiful sunny morning. It was the best!!! After our run we went to this adorable cafe in Belltown called Macrina. I highly recommend it! We had the best quiche I have ever had in my life as we sat, people watched, read, and rested...

Reflection--Over a yummy sushi dinner Kyle and I spend a lot of time reflecting on our first year. Our favorite part of being married (learning new things about ourselves, always having someone around), the hardest thing about being married (learning new things about ourselves, always having someone around...), what we want to work on, what makes us tick, what makes us smile, what we are most surprised about in marriage and more. It was a beautiful conversation filled with butterflies in my tummy like it was our first date.

Realization-- I had an epiphical moment and "realization" about how much my love for my husband has grown. Many a Halmark greeting card or stitched pillow will tell you that "I love you more now then the day I married you", but this weekend I fell into the masses of the cliche and really understood that. He makes me laugh, encourages me, frustrates me, trusts me, has patience with me, annoys me, and reminds me that I mean to world to him. And for that I am grateful.

Reality--Yes, there was a touch of reality to our beautiful weekend. We fought about stopping to ask for directions (after 40 minutes, why wouldn't you call and ask?!?!?), stayed in a dumpy hotel (hairball in my towel...pretty sure neither of us have red hair) where only one lady spoke English (what room are we in....no ROOOOOM....ROOOOOOOOOOOOM), the elevator reminded me of the Tower of Terror at Disneyland, we had to straddle the door to sit on the toilet, and we had a beautiful view of a brick wonderland known as the building next door. Funny how God humbles us in a way that leads to appreciation.
Another reality...having to wear glasses in order to read the big screen...AND they're crooked in this picture. "...and so it goes" --Kurt Vonnegut

2 comments:

  1. yay, i'm so glad you guys had such a wonderful weekend! those times of reflection on your relationship are so great - so fun & so rewarding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) You guys are fabulous!! Happy late anniversary! We miss you guys!!!

    ReplyDelete